Monday, June 09, 2008

Let's Get CAMPY!!

CAUTION: CAMPING WITH CHILDREN MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH! (and possibly more work than it's worth, but I'll never tell...)

We obviously disregarded this warning as well as the weather reports and headed for the hills with all our gear and all our crazy kids! The only thing that turned out to be truly hazardous were the "HOT" hot dogs....yeow! Nothing a little extra ketchup and relish couldn't fix.


About the caution tape: my in-laws were kind enough to go up early to Leslie's Gulch and reserve our spot. They did so with that yellow tape. It kept the boy scouts out and the kids in (well, sort of). As far as it looking like a crime scene, the only crime committed was the diabetic (not mentioning any names!) downing too many roasted marshmallows.







Our site was right on the river which made me a little nervous considering my two boys' history with bodies of water, but everyone had a great time throwing rocks and getting dirty. According to BJ getting dirty is "the whole purpose of camping." Let's say everyone fulfilled their purpose. Luckily, it only rained a little that night after the kids were in bed, so we just hung out in the car playing cards until it died down. (Mike and I won Rook, for the record.) It was a little chilly, but other than a few frost-bitten fingers, our kids didn't seem to notice.



We camped with Mike and Katy and their kids and I had to include a picture of little Brocky-boo. He was a fine lil' camper and didn't keep me up at all! I could have done with out the morning birds and the resident snorer and the rock in my back, but Brock was AOK (as opposed to KOA).


Here are some shots of our fabulous hike. I have to admit, the kids were more energetic than I was and much more adventurous when it came to climing precipices and skirting rockslides. They loved to find obscure little caves and hide out to "scare" us when we walked by. I was content to be the photographer and catch them in action! The views were incredible and we can't wait to go back. (and next time Katy won't be sick, so she can enjoy all this, RIGHT?!)










4 comments:

marlequin said...

Now I'm jealous I didn't go. CURSES!

MZB said...

I am glad to see I am not the only RED NECK who lets their kids bask in the dirt.
PS: I heard Fred Meyer page you to Play Land today?

Chanin said...

You are so brave. I have only been once since Jaren was born. How do you do the tent thing? Do the kids stay in their own tent and really behave? I love to camp, you'll have to fill me in on how to make it work.

Sarah Pearl said...

Chanin--I don't know if you classify this as "working", but it does the job! When camping, no one really gets enough sleep, so you just gotta roll with it. We have a big tent with a divider down the middle. Kids to the left, parents to the right. We put em down and hope they settle down by dark. We fire gaze until all we can hear are the crackles and pops from the flames. We then stealthily sneak in and zonk out ourselves! Go for it and you won't be sorry! :)