Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dear Mom,

Have I ever told you that....

Whenever I get a little scratch on my arm, it reminds me of the hours you'd spend in the raspberry patch pruning and then picking them for our enjoyment?

Every time I eat "delicacies" such as asaparagus, rhurbarb, and beets, I think back to how I loathed them as a child, fresh-picked from the garden, and now I only dream about having them grow like weeds in our backyard?

Even though I was a cheerleader in uniform, you were one in heart and mind, always cheering me on during hard times? You believed in me--I have proof in the "You can do it!" sign you made me in college.

I think your fingers are beautiful? They represent hours at the quilting frame and holding a crochet hook.

Nothing is so sweet as seeing you and Dad share loving moments together when you think no one is watching?

Hearing you laugh so hard that your eyes get squinty and your face turns red is one of the most precious sounds in the world?

Whenever people think I am strong, I picture you bucking hay bales along side the men for our family farm?

I am so grateful to you for passing on all the "dying arts" to us girls? Canning as a child used to be something I dreaded, now there's nothing quite so satisfying as filling up my pantry with those beautiful bottles of fruit....

Thanks to you, I can make dinner in less than 30 minutes with practically nothing? (as long as I have some pasta, a vegetable, and some meat, we're good!)

Also thanks to you, I can't follow a recipe exactly to save my life?

You taught me through example that spending time with your kids is more important than an immaculate home?

Every time I hear the song "Sleigh Ride" I think of our piano duet?

I love you because you understand my phobia of phones and know that I'm thinking of you even if we haven't spoken for a while?

Even though you didn't blatantly preach to us, your testimony came through loud and clear by seeing you read your scriptures and make temple attendance a priority? Even my kids know Grandma's beliefs, thanks to all the FHE kits and special gifts you've given them to help teach them the gospel.

Someday I aspire to be the kind of mom you are?

You're the perfect mom for me?

Well, if I never told you those things, I'm telling you now. I hope you have the best Mother's Day!

Love, Sarah

2 comments:

MZB said...

What a tribute, very touching

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

Now I'm balling like a baby. I love how you described our mom so wonderfully. I hope to grow up to be more like both you and her. Love you sis!