Monday, August 25, 2008

Farewell, oh blessed olympic games!!!

Now that the Olympics are over, I feel like I can get my life back. Thank you, world for giving me a proxy workout. It was a rush. I loved it all and can't wait to see who comes back to the stage in 4 years. My only regret was not being there to compete myself....I know now that 32 is not too old, but I'm afraid 36 may be--for this mama, anyway! (Can you believe a 33 yr old gymnast from Germany actually took bronze in the vault? Not to mention the 38 yr old marathon winner and Dara Torres the swimmer who is an astounding 41, still at the top of her game.) I also learned that even though you may be a MaryLou fan, it's not cheating to switch sports so you can make it to the Olympics and receive big payoffs (just like the American who won the gold in women's discus). A big hurrah from my heart to yours, Phelpsie. You totally rock and actually got my butt off the couch a few times while I was watching you compete. (but I'm really bummed you're not accepting any new friends on facebook.) And to the men's volleyball team--you did what they said you wouldn't ever be able to do: here's to the underdogs who triumphed amidst tragedy. And to my little golden girls Nastia and Shawn--every time you took the stage you made me smile. I learned that happiness is all about expectations when I saw the men's gymnastics team utterly thrilled with a bronze and the womens team devastated with silver. Let's not forget May and Walsh. Winning gold in the rain? You're amazing! I thought it was so sweet when Walsh said she wanted a baby more than anything right after she won gold--even though I can't exactly picture an ounce of fat on her body....I cried with you, Lolo, when you hit the 9th hurdle and lost your dream of gold, and I sat in disbelief when I saw first the men and then the women drop the batons. (how does that happen at the olympic level?!) And I'm not even mentioning you, Usain, since I think you've made it clear how great you think you are already. Three times. I cheered for our local fan, Kristen Armstrong and made mental plans on how I can purchase a road bike as soon as possible. But mostly I saw athleticism at it's best, which is truly an inspiring thing. Yes, they delivered. And yes, it will be nice to sleep again.

4 comments:

ami said...

Wow what a tribute to the olympians. make sure you have dvr by 2012 then you can record all the late night events and totally ignore your children while you watch them during the day. Oh did I really just say that outloud? Anyways- we have emmett baby. Next year- start training.

Leslie said...

You are one insane Olympics fan. Totally impressed at how you know everyone's names and stats. Now get off that couch, and start baking me some bread!

Mamie Coffey said...

i hear you. i stayed up way too late every night watching the games. But, oh how fun it was!

jenny said...

Sarah, whenever I need a good laugh, i'm logging on to your blog! I think we sould train for the 2012 and give Dara a run for her money! You should be a writter!